Contributed by Kori J., Cheer Advisor, Costa Mesa, CA
Here are some ideas to boost School Spirit among students and staff.
- Create a student section, rope off a section just for students to sit right in front of the cheerleaders – create a “cool name” for them.
- Teach the students some of the fun cheers and chants– use them to help the other side hear just how spirited you are.
- Get your school band involved- learn dances and shouts to the songs they play.
- Have fans of the week and announce them during a quarter break, have them come down to the field and get their prize.
- Encourage your fans to dress in school colors- paint their bodies, hold signs etc.
- Have your cheerleaders do “fan throws” throw shirts, beads, megaphones, or other spirit items–this always gets the fans crazy.
- Decorate your stadium, gym etc–posters, balloons, streamers, make your crowd feel like they are at a party.